Associate Medical Director (Publications)
Philadelphia - United States
inScience Communications has over 30 years’ experience in providing strategic and tactical medical communications services to the global pharmaceutical industry. Working in partnership with our valued clients, we deliver the highest quality of service and ethical content by drawing on the extensive talent and experience of our global team. We pride ourselves on ensuring each individual has the ability to contribute to our continuing expansion, providing the opportunity to progress their career and make a real difference to this dynamic agency.
The Associate Medical Director assists in the delivery of the scientific content of medical communications within accounts, provides strategic consultancy to clients based upon scientific expertise, supports new business development, and acts as scientific consultant on one or more accounts. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the other members of the Medical Communications business unit management team to drive business to meet/exceed client expectations by providing scientific leadership in specific therapeutic categories.
- Maintain expertise and interpret new research findings in at least one area of expertise and advise clients and internal staff on how new developments will impact the field
- Research medical and scientific topics utilizing various information services including in-house reference system, on-line journal subscriptions, libraries, and literature search databases (i.e., Pub Med)
- Research and source appropriate medical literature for editorial projects and proposals (often within a tight timeline)
- Efficiently and effectively use medical literature searching resources available within the company
- Attend conferences, scientific symposia, and advisory boards
- Support Scientific Services leadership in developing methods and offerings to best provide strategic consultancy to clients.
- In conjunction with the Scientific Services Director, help develop writers within an account team to achieve their full potential and coach and mentor junior writers as required
- Write and manage delivery of scientific content for a range of medical communications that meet client needs, internal quality standards and timelines:
- Act as lead consultant for one or more major accounts and provide the main point of contact on matters of scientific content for the client and KOLs
- Advise Scientific Services leadership about resource requirements
- Recommend authors, publications and target journals
- Review scientific content for range of medical communications, according to client needs, internal quality standards and agreed specifications, budgets and timeframes:
- Monitor quality, style and accuracy and provide timely, consistent and constructive feedback
- Ensure that projects reflect a thorough understanding of clients’ marketing objectives and that key messages are supported appropriately
- Liaise with clients and Account Handler to agree to specifications and check that client expectations are being met
- Liaise with Scientific Services leadership on writers’ training needs and provide coaching as required
- Coordinate at an appropriate level with external parties such as clients and key opinion leaders (e.g. liaising with speakers in the preparation of briefing notes and slide presentations)
- Provide ongoing strategic and scientific consultation to clients
- Monitor external competitor environment and scientific data. Report changes and findings to clients as appropriate
- Coordinate at an appropriate level with external parties such as clients and opinion leaders (e.g. coordinating with speakers in the preparation of briefing notes and slide presentations)
- Facilitate client presentations, speaker briefings, etc.
- Identify, develop and maintain professional relations with key opinion leaders globally
- Apply knowledge of the therapeutic use and strategic marketing of pharmaceuticals to account plans, strategic publication plans, strategic communication programs, proposals and pitches.
- Participate fully in briefing and brainstorming meetings
- Provide scientific expertise to Business Development in the development of new business pitches and proposals
- Assist or take the lead in strategic identification, development, and writing for new business
- Attend and present at meetings for new/maintenance of business where appropriate
- Seize opportunities for organic growth of business and advise senior strategic colleagues of any potential opportunities for new business
- Maintain deep awareness of developments in relevant therapeutic areas and discipline, editorial issues within publishing and the Pharma Solutions product portfolio
- Provide scientific input to complement Account Management in developing new opportunities within accounts
- To contribute to revenue targets by ensuring that projects are progressed as soon as possible after confirmation
- To monitor own adherence to budget and utilization rate
- To record and monitor actual time spent on a project against budgeted time, and complete timesheets in an accurate and timely manner
Any other duties as required by manager.
- Life sciences PhD, PharmD, MD degree
- Writing experience in a communications agency for 5+ years.
- Reviewing/coaching experience in a communications agency for 2+ years.
- Experience of client liaison and interaction for 5+ years or equivalent, including client visits and on-site experience
- Proven ability in all aspects of medical communication deliverables
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.