Chester, Knutsford, or London
Are you a strong leader from the medical communications industry with proven financial acumen?
Add tremendous value in a fulfilling and business critical role at one of the longest established medical communications agencies in the world.
We’re looking for a talented Operations Director with exceptional people management skills to lead the delivery of the inScience Communications business to fulfil sales, revenue, profitability and organic growth targets.
For almost 40 years we have successfully delivered high quality communications programs and deliverables to global pharmaceutical companies. Our strong scientific insight, together with our unparalleled editorial skills and proactive project management ensure integrity in all our communications. This is the cornerstone of our business. As part of the Springer Nature Group, we have a presence in over 50 countries, with annual revenues of €1.66bn (2018).
- Internal Leadership/Management
- Develop and implement on-going business planning for inScience accounts on a global basis
- Assist the VP Medical Communications in preparing annual budgets and plans in collaboration with MRPA
- Assign responsibilities and involve direct reports in developing and implementing budgets and plans
- In conjunction with the VP Medical Communications develop a strategic vision for the further growth of the business
- Manage an effective, integrated and cohesive functioning Medical Communications team by:
- Setting appropriate goals, expectations and behaviour that are shared and understood by all team members
- Motivating, coaching and enabling all team members to do their best at all times
- Manage to the highest standards of professionalism and customer service
- Recruit new staff in conjunction with the Scientific Services Directors, Client Services Directors and Human Resources
- Manage departmental resource on an on-going basis in conjunction with the Scientific Services Directors, Client Services Directors
- Maintain an oversight of each team member’s performance
- Financial Management
- Responsibility for the delivery of agreed upon sales, revenues and margins to ensure the budgets are met for the assigned organic business:
- In consultation with the VP Medical Communications, prepare and implement annual budgets in line with the overall inScience business plan
- Deliver all financial aspects of business i.e. sales, revenue and profit targets
- In conjunction with MRPA team, produce accurate, reliable and timely sales, revenues and KPI reports for all accounts
- Strategic and Commercial Insight/Organic Growth
- Provide business direction and management for inScience in line with medical communications strategies:
- Lead the development of organic business strategies, products and necessary client pitches
- Oversee the development and execution of marketing activities in collaboration with the Marketing team
- Maintain an oversight of the identification, establishment and securing of organic business opportunities
- Maintain an ongoing business plan to identify, allocate and distribute appropriate resources, skills and competencies in conjunction with client services and scientific services leads
- Recommend to the VP Medical Communications the required resources and provide regular updates concerning future resource needs in line with current account needs
- Work collaboratively with VP Medical Communications and iSc Business Development Managers (Strategic Medical Communications Consultant (UK) and Business Development Director/Manager (US)) to deliver business goals that positively represent company philosophies and ideals
- Work closely with the iSc Business Development Managers to develop and implement a business development strategy that will result in new growth opportunities.
- Maintain an environment of professionalism, enthusiasm and collaboration with all team members at all times.
- In collaboration with the scientific services directors ensure that the highest standards of Good Publication Practice and all other relevant codes are followed
- Business Knowledge
- Maintain a keen awareness and understanding of the Global healthcare markets and key therapeutic areas while maintaining an in-depth knowledge of the inScience Communications and Springer Nature organization capabilities
- Keep abreast of industry developments and innovation assessing where possible this can fit within the inScience business model
- Build relationships with counterparts in other offices of Springer Healthcare and maximise on all opportunities that could be rolled out at a local level
Key Experience, Skills & Qualification
- Strong demonstrable experience in the medical communications industry in a leadership role
- Previous experience of people management is essential.
- Requires a specialised knowledge and understanding of the healthcare industry, wide therapeutic areas and an in depth understanding of the drug and medical device development process
- Knowledge and understanding of the wider Springer Healthcare product and service portfolio
- Proven leadership abilities
- Market and customer-focussed
- Must be able to work collaboratively as part of an international team
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and focussed
- CMPP certified
- Strong analytical and financial / commercial acumen
- Proven financial acumen – demonstrated profitable programme delivery
- Ability to think strategically
- Must be able to collaboratively develop and lead the team with clearly defined strategies and goals
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Microsoft Project)
- A degree in Business or Science or equivalent
- Domestic/International travel
Please apply with a CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.